Aaaand just like that 2014 is just about over. But hey, you know what that means: New Year’s resolutions for 2015! I’ve put together some fun and useful apps, resources, videos, tips, etc to help you out with what may be on YOUR list of resolutions! (Inspired by what’s on mine, obviously)
1. As my bestie Maite explained to me, it’s important to sit down and REFLECT on the past year. Instead of just focusing on what you want to do, be realistic and think about how you can achieve those goals. Of course we can’t change who we are deep down, but there’s always a part of us we want to let out. So ask yourself, “What kind of person do I want to become?” and “What habits will get me to where I want to be?” Instead of dreaming of the person you wish you could be, think of what you can do to make that dream a reality.
2. One of the first steps to becoming who you want to be is developing “better” or more suitable habits based on your goal. It’s helpful to get SPECIFIC. For example, instead of saying you want a better body, write about toning your legs and a workout plan to achieve that. This awesome list divides up 200+ good habits to help practically every part of your life out. Oh yeah, forget the 21 day rule. According to recent studies it now takes around 66 days to form a habit – that’s March 6!
3. Going off the idea of getting specific, this list gives you 36 prompts to help you make resolutions. It’s smart to focus on ONE thing of the bigger picture. For example, if you want to save money, focus on one thing you can cut. Maybe it’s skipping Starbucks every morning by making coffee at home.
4. Generally, resolutions tend to be around the idea of being healthier, happier, and more productive. (mine definitely are) Check out the top habits of HEALTHY, HAPPY, PRODUCTIVE people on this great bloglovin post. Did you know your happiness is contagious and can extend up to 3 degrees of separation? (check out my old post for a few happiness tips also)
5. Mornings can be rough, but a great morning could be the key to an awesome and productive day. Try to do things that can make your morning easier and faster. Something I’m trying to do is wake up 5-10 min earlier than I need to and hit the snooze button less. If you find it tough to get up in the mornings like me, check out the app Alarmy. To turn off this annoying alarm you have to take a picture of a preset photo.
6. I feel like reading is another thing a lot of us wish we did more of. Check out this list of books that are guaranteed to make you a better person. (self improvement AND reading – killin two birds with one stone!) But since we all get busy and may not have the time to read a whole novel, there’s also a list of essays to make you a better person.
7. JOURNALING is at the top of my list this time! In my case, I’ve found that writing down goals, memories, progress, even song lyrics (in a cute journal of course) truly works wonders on my life. But, if you still need convincing check out this great article about how having a simple notebook can change your life. Be sure to check out the app Emojiary – it helps you journal your emotions with emojis!
8. Winer break and the holidays will soon be over and we’ll be thrown back into our busy, stressful lives. But to keep you calm during these crazy times, many suggest MEDITATION. If you’re looking for something short that also works with your mood, I suggest checking out this free meditation app called Stop, Breathe, and Think.
9. One thing I’ve learned is to completely FOCUS on whatever it is that you’re doing. Whether it’s your homework or exercising, it’s so much better for you and your body. I struggle a lot with focus so one of my goals is to pay better attention. This can be hard for many of us because of how distracting the internet and social media can be. For times like these I love the app SelfControl, it’s for Macs and it basically blocks you from going on distracting websites. Just a reminder that it’s also helpful to take breaks from social networks. Oh, putting your phone on “Do Not Disturb” is super efficient also.
10. Don’t forget to laugh and SMILE. Life’s hard, but it’s still great. Check out these funny tumblr posts or this for some cute overload.
11. Whatever your New Year’s resolution is, you can do it. If you ever feel like giving up, remember WHY you made it your goal in the first place and watch this 5 min video of epic motivation.
WAKE UP. KICK ASS. REPEAT.
Good luck and Happy New Year! 🙂